Disability claims in Canada and how to improve your own claim
Have a disability? You’re not alone. In 2012, statistics Canada conducted a nationwide survey on disabilities among Canadians aged 15 and older. The published results indicate that nearly four million citizens are affected by a disability. The survey included not only those persons who have health conditions but also those who experience some type of limitation during their daily activities. Even so, approximately 50 per cent of disabled Canadians have a disability that’s categorized as severe or very severe.
Overview of most common disabilities
The results of the survey determined that disabilities were more common in women than in men throughout every age category. Unsurprisingly, the prevalence of disabilities rose with age. The top ten disabilities by type ranked as follows:
- Pain (9.7%)
- Flexibility (7.6%)
- Mobility (7.2%)
- Mental/psychological (3.9%)
- Dexterity (3.5%)
- Hearing (3.2%)
- Seeing (2.7%)
- Memory (2.3%)
- Learning (2.3%)
- Developmental (.6%)
Filing disability claims
If you are a Calgary resident and are looking to file a disability claim, you can apply through your private insurance provider for long-term disability coverage or for Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits. If you’ve already applied and been denied, Ludwar Law Firm can help you appeal the decision. It is the claimant’s responsibility to provide evidence of their disability, and unfortunately this isn’t always the straightforward process it should be.
Stacking the odds in your favour
In general, insurance companies are all about increasing their own profits and will look for any reason to deny your claim. It’s therefore helpful to position your claim carefully. Implementing any or all of the following can help enormously.
- Keep and make copies of all medical records, doctor’s reports and receipts for prescription drugs.
- Attend all medical appointments.
- Vigilantly adhere to recommended treatment plans.
- Keep a medical diary to record all symptoms, pain and associated conditions. You should note medications and treatments, paying special attention to their efficacy.
- Be forthcoming with doctors about the reality of your situation. Neither embellish nor minimize your symptoms or pain. This type of honesty is important as some insurance companies will hire private investigators in the hopes of falsifying your claim.
- Understand the parameters of your insurance policy, including your rights and obligations. As these policies aren’t always easy to make sense of, Ludwar Law Firm can be an asset in gaining clarity.
Hire a disability lawyer
Disability lawyers in Calgary each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. With 25 years of experience and an ongoing focus on long-term disability claims, Ludwar Law Firm stands out above the rest. Our legal expertise has helped win even difficult claims involving depression, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and we’ll make sure you get the indemnity you deserve.